Friday, August 07, 2009

eLog - The Call to Leadership (16 July 2009)

A Reflection:
Thursday, 16 July 2009


What will get them to practice it? What will get you to practice it? The questions were raised in class tonight referring to the values, the teachings or the ideals that are being thought in class or were written in the books.

I was reading my notes on our "Good to Great" presentation at the cafeteria this morning while having breakfast with a friend. This friend is always my devil's advocate. She would always probe and ask questions. She would disagree a lot on many things I suggest or say. We would always argue and discuss anything from work, to family, religion, the books we’d read recently, etc. Good thing she is not my wife. :-D She is always my captured audience. My mirror when I need to present something.

I was telling her what the book was about. Then she asked me: "E, ano ang sinabi d'yan na hindi natin alam?"

It took me several minutes to think before answering her. I could not exactly say what else the book mentioned that we did not know or heard of. Like the books presented tonight (Good to Great and Leadership Challenges) they both have similar values presented only in different ways, different words. But certainly, everyone would agree that we all know these already. That a good leader should be trusted? Should have credibility? Those are not new.

The Hedgehog Concept maybe a new terminology for me but we know that being passionate with what you do; strive to be the best; and become an economic engine are elements of a successful business. The Flywheel can be called a rocket ship (going up). The Doom Loop can be called Jumping from the Frying Pan to the Fire concept or a Yo-yo Effect. They are all there but just different names.

Everyone (almost everyone) knew what to do in order to be a good leader but are they doing it? Are we doing it?

I believe that even though that these concepts are not new, they still continue to inspire people to become great leaders. These ideals should be read, re-read, discussed and re-discussed in order for more people to know themselves, to become great leaders.
I still could not think of any new idea on leadership that was discussed today that I can answer my friend's question. I think I will just have to ask her to help me know myself better by answering the assigned survey questions: what are the strengths she sees in me?; what does she like about me?; what do I need to improve? - Though I think I know what she will say about me. Makulit ka. Period

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home