Friday, August 07, 2009

eLog - The Call to Leadership (23 July 2009)

A Reflection:
Thursday, 23 July 2009


When Ninoy Aquino died in 1983, my life was opened to the reality of dictatorship, corruption, politics and poverty. I heard my first lecture on civil disobedience that year, too. Boycott San Miguel and all other companies that Marcos and his cronies own; register our protests and march into the streets until the dictator steps down; the National Service Law is militarization of our education system; the rich becomes richer, the poor becomes poorer. I also joined my first rally that year. I was in Grade 3.

A friend once told me, "Kung ako maging Mayor sang Bacolod, mangurakot gid ko ya." (If I become Mayor of Bacolod I will be corrupt.) When I heard that, I loathed him from then on till we graduated in High School. I was in 2nd year High School then.

I was into "mature" politics and government from my university days and up till I joined a private company. Even then, I was still connected to my former colleagues in Congress (both upper and lower houses). I met all sorts of leaders in my stint in public service either personally or through the media.

There are good leaders/politicians in our midst who would really want to lead by joining the rat-race of politics. Unfortunately, they do not have the money. I believe that fame and the political machinery will just follow if you have money. Others, on the other hand, have the fortune and more: money, fame, political family, a famous actress for a wife, etc.

The press release is service but once they are in the position… pfft. All glamour, all fame. While those who wants to genuinely serve and bring this country to progress and freedom from poverty are left dreaming. The success stories (from not so wealthy to elected officials) as far as I can recall is Gov. Grace Padaca of Isabela who is now on her 2nd term as governor of the province; and Gov. Fr. Ed Panlilio of Pampanga. I don't have to explain, they are not your regular politicos but they were elected to power.

Did they win easily? No, they did not. They experienced being marginalized and attacked even physically before they won… and yes, even after being elected they are still attacked.

"Leadership is not all glamour but a burden of responsibilities."

I realized at an early age that to be a good leader you should be a good example to your subordinates. When I was there – a leader, I received recognition, rewards, a tap in the shoulder for a job well done, etc. But before I got those, I was also marginalized, attacked, humiliated, seduced, forced to give up material things, etc.

I believe that our nation can still be No. 1 in Asia or the world. I believe that the Filipinos are capable but the big change should not only come from our politicians or leaders but also from us, the ordinary citizens of this country; from us, the working class; from us who are poor; from us who believe in change.

The Myth of Measurement: "Why did you teach 5 children to read and not 16? Why did you create 803 jobs and not 23,421? Why did you save 433 lives and not 718?" This was mentioned in one summary I read about "Leadership on the Line." In the movie "Schindler's List," in the last portion of the film, there was this scene that Schindler was crying and was lamenting that if he had only sold more of his possessions he could have saved more Jews. His gold ring could have bought 5 more Jews; his car 10 more and so on. Sometimes measuring and looking at where you are now compared to your goals is also a good motivator. Unfortunately in Schindler's case, it was a little too late.

I always believe that LOVE is the main reason for serving, for leading. "Leadership on the Line" placed an emphasis on "staying alive through the dangers of leading." Sacrifice is the language of love. We could not really feel that we had given something or if we have really served if we did not feel the hardship that leads us to achieving our goals. That's why, I will continue to promote: Ang tunay na nagmamahal hindi iniisip ang sarili kundi ang minamahal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home